We are currently not accepting applications, please check back summer of 2020.
The first phase of the Basalt Vista Affordable Housing Community will be home to nine families (30 members of our community), including seven teachers and two coaches who are transformational in the lives of our community's children. While having similarities based on their service to our community's youth, these nine families have differences as well: they include a range of other workers, with workers from Sandy's office supply and City Market, a local landscaper and sous chef, and small business owners. One couple has lived here 25 years...another joined the Roaring Fork School District less than two years ago. There are Colorado natives and immigrants from South America, who all have a dream of owning a home and providing for their family; whether they are a tight-knit family of six, a young family just beginning with a mom-to-be pregnant with their first child, or a single mom and daughter. Each has a unique story and is eager to become part of this collaborative community.
Our Phase II buyers include 18 adults and 14 children. We are so excited to be building with four teachers (with a combined 86 students), a police officer, a police detective, and many customer service professionals from our favorite establishments across the valley. They all have a dream of owning a home and providing for their family within our community; whether they are a tight-knit blended family of six, a young family just beginning with a mom-to-be pregnant with their first child, or a single mom working, mom and her children. Each has a unique story and is eager to become part of this collaborative neighborhood.
We urge you to become part of this transformational project and learn more about the people who will be directly impacted. You can hear their stories and see the excitement as their homes turn from a set of plans into a reality. You can work alongside them, as they learn new skills from the Habitat team. And, you'll truly begin to understand why one homeowner-to-be described this opportunity for their family as: "It means EVERYTHING!"
“We know that the most important factor in educating our children is their teachers. Affordable staff housing in Basalt through this project will help us keep great teachers in our schools.” ROB STEIN, SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS, ROARING FORK SCHOOL DISTRICT RE-1
WHY HOMEOWNERSHIP IS BETTER THAN RENTING
- Basalt Vista will provide affordable homeownership (likely to be less expensive than renting due to lower monthly out of pocket costs)
- You will have a predictable monthly payment and nearly free utilities thanks to the fact that every Basalt Vista home is net-zero.
- You will stop paying someone else's mortgage (your landlord) and begin investing in yourself, which will enable you to build wealth and financial equity.
- You will have choices- you can have pets and paint the walls a color you love.
- You will have control over your housing situation; provide your family with physical, financial, and emotional security; and live in a home with multi-million dollar views.
AFFORDABLE HOMES OVERVIEW
- 14 homes reserved for the Roaring Fork School District (RFSD) teachers and support staff, 13 for other local workforce working within Pitkin County
- Families must have at least one member who works for the Roaring Fork School District or within Pitkin County (do not need to be employed by Pitkin County) and will be selected by lottery- with separate lotteries for each home.
- Approximate home prices for this phase are $295,000-395,000.
- Three and four-bedroom homes (1,507-1,675 sq/ft)
- RFSD: five 3-bedroom and one 4-bedroom, click here for purchase prices and income guidelines.
- Pitkin County: three 3-bedroom, one 3-bedroom (accessible), and one 4-bedroom, click here for purchase prices and income guidelines. To apply click here.
- Homes will be built by Habitat staff, sub-contractors, volunteers and homeowners. Sweat equity down payment opportunity available, click here to learn more.
- The first Net Zero community in rural Colorado. Click here to learn more.
AN INNOVATIVE & UNPRECEDENTED COMMUNITY COLLABORATION
- Habitat for Humanity of the Roaring Fork Valley is the builder and will facilitate access to mortgages, raise funds to cover the $75,000 gap between construction costs and the reduced sales prices for each home through donations from individuals, foundations, and local businesses; as well as proceeds from the ReStore.
- RFSD provided seven acres of land adjacent to Basalt High School; valued at $3.2 million. Pitkin County funded the infrastructure costs (roads and utilities) totaling $3 million. The Town of Basalt contributed in the form of reduced fees.
- CORE and Holy Cross have been key players in spearheading the Net Zero effort for the development.
HOW TO APPLY OR GET INVOLVED
Considering applying for Phase III, before you apply:
A pre-qualification letter from a local lender will need to be submitted with your application for both programs, click here for a list of preferred lenders.
Background checks will be completed for all non-RFSD employees within the household, for all lottery winners.
Interested in Volunteering? As volunteer opportunities become available we will update our Volunteer page. If you would like to schedule a group or be a regular volunteer on this project please reach out to Denise Latousek, DeniseL@habitatroaringfork.org .
Interested in making a Monetary Gift to this Development? We are currently looking for donations to make this development a reality, if you are interested in making a significant, tangible difference within our community please reach out to Scott Gilbert at 948-8264 or ScottG@HabitatRoaringFork.org to learn more about this development and to make a gift. Or click here to donate.